Saturday, May 6, 2006

I'm really missing my Robin today. She was a genuine Kentucky Derby nut. When she didn't attend the Derby, she still poured over her racing form and no one dared disturb her. She was so meticulous with her research when anything interested her. She read everything she could get her hands on, studying the trainers, the horses, track conditions, etc.

When she would go to Louisville, she gave her Derby wardrobe serious consideration. One of my favorites was a striking and crisp black and white outfit. A black and white suit, handbag and shoes to match, gloves and of course THE HAT. She spared no expense, of course, which comes as no surprise to anyone who knew Robin because she never really had a concept of money. The price of something was never a factor and only the best would do. That was just her way and her friends and I understood and would just shake our heads, smiling. I think we all overlooked the little things after she lost her hearing at 17.

Others thought of Robin because of the Kentucky Derby today. I got a call from our favorite cousin Ray in Atlanta and from a family friend who called to ask about us all as we all reminisced about Robin.

A few minutes before post-time Mother fixed her usual Bloody Mary and I fixed a rare Kahlua and Cream. She in the den and I in my room; avoiding an inevitable breakdown. Both clutching kleenex while waiting for "...And They're Off" and silently toasting our girl.

2 comments:

Shirl said...

oh wow, Susan. Thank you for sharing this story. Now we can join you on future race days, remembering Robin.

Karen said...

*sniffle* What a beautiful way to remember her and give tribute to her. Awesome. *HUGS*