Thursday, March 23, 2006

In death, Robin left behind a floral treasure hunt for us. She had recently planted fall bulbs in the yard. Outdoors, bulbs soon peeked up from tender soil as I patiently waited for their blooming show. What color will you be? How tall will you grow? And what variety will show up next?

This also happens indoors. Right beside a monster peace lily, a large, sturdy plant began showing signs of new bud growth. Each morning as I awoke I'd rush to see what may have transpired overnight. Finally the first flower started to unfold with a touch of bright red peeking out. A week later there are two full large red flowers. Huge. 8 inches across huge. They look somewhat tropical, but what in the world are they?

A trusty internet search reveals the mystery. They are Canna Lilies. I'd heard of Calla Lilies, but not Canna Lilies. They come in dwarf size and large size and in different colors. Ours is called the "President". You can see a good picture if you click here at Daves Garden, a super nice site with member participation.

Thanks, Dobber. I enjoy taking care of the flowers you lovingly planted and seeing what surprises you have in store for me. (For those who may not know, my sister and best friend passed away on Thanksgiving morning, 2005.)

2 comments:

Shirl said...

oh Susan. Thank you for sharing your finds from Robin this spring, and I hope to hear more. You and Robin had, no let's say have, such a wonderful sister relationship. {{{hugs}}}

Sudeaux Lux said...

Thank you so much, dear friends. And I do mean dear friends. I'm still grieving and it helps so much to talk about Robin with you. There's something so special about seeing those living flowers thrive that were planted so lovingly by Robin. And I just can't look at them enough. They're so brilliant and bright -- just like Robin and I can imagine her saying through the flowers, "I'm still here!" "Don't you dare forget about me!" I know you are, Dob. How could I ever forget?