Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Babble On

So I was up early working and I finished with that, made lunch and got myself ready and then walked in where my Mother was and said, "You ready to go?" as I surveyed her skeptically in her "stay-at-home" casual clothes.

Turns out it's Thursday that we have the 1:00 appointment, not today.

Not a rare occurrence with my elderly Mother. It's almost sweet. But it's not initially sweet. My knee-jerk reaction is, "So why in the hell did you tell me it was today?" (I know it may shock you but I used to be the loud, dramatic one.)

It's an ongoing process and I must learn to change the conditioning of 56 years of Mother - Daughter give and take.

Sometimes she'll be midway through a sentence and she'll realize that it doesn't make a lot of sense. I even try to help her make a ridiculous sentence right.

Getting old and experiencing the loss of brain activity is not a phase. It doesn't right itself. She knows it's happening to her and it embarrasses her. I pretend I don't notice and we go on as usual discussing news and satire like we always have. Obama and Hilary and Stephen Colbert and Bill Maher are some of her favorite subjects.

Yes, she taught me well.

No comments: