Sunday, March 18, 2007

First Hummingbirds Migrate Northward

Have you spotted your first hummingbird of the season? Have your neighbors? It's still a little early for most of us but it soon will be time to put up your hummingbird feeders. I put one up this week. We have one that sticks to the outside window by suction for optimal viewing that the birds love best.

You can log in your first sighting on this US and Canada hummingbird map.

In the past two weeks they're showing up along the US Gulf Coast region and a little inland since leaving Central America coming north. Spotters have seen the hummers along coastal Florida, coastal Louisiana, coastal Alabama, coastal Mississippi, coastal Texas, and coastal Georgia in early March.

Robin adored these birds so I'm following her tradition. Last year I spotted one on April 8 in western North Carolina so I'll see when I spot one this year.

No comments: