Sunday, October 23, 2005

My dear sainted Mother is 83 years old. She was older than most my friends mothers, but she's always been full of life; a very handsome woman with a nice shape and is just five feet tall.

Besides having a slower gait and being somewhat frail, as I notice with every hug, she's pretty much the same Mother I've always known. She's still sarcastic and sassy and warm and witty. Oh, and sarcastic. Did I mention sarcastic? Ha!

I got my love of music from her. I also got my biting sarcasm from her. Which hasn't always served me well.

She's a retired RN, registered nurse, and worked her way up from floor supervisor to Nursing Supervisor over the whole hospital and can still speak intelligently on all things medical. I was always proud of her being a working Mother and expert homemaker and knew that'd be a hard act to imitate. Growing up I hounded her relentlessly about the Bridge Club and Country Club, etc. It was the Sixties.

She calls the neighborhood convenience store "Tiffany's" because of their high prices, wouldn't dream of missing her weekly salon appointment and talks smack to the baseball players on the television. She probably knows more about baseball than most players and she's never missed an Atlanta Braves game. Ever. If they're not on, she'll watch someone else, but if you wanted to talk to her growing up and a game was on, you either waited until commercials or learned baseball, too.

These qualities my Mother still have are very comforting to me now when they haven't always been. She's at an age where I worry so much about her, but as soon as I can hear her voice, I know she's doing just fine.

Edited to add: My sweet Mommy just called and I was worred because it wasn't time for her to be back from church yet and I was afraid of bad news. It wasn't, but she did say that Robin is in a lot of pain and can't get around much at all. Sigh...

Shirl, you once asked if we could do cards or emails or something. I'll list both addresses for Robin here should anyone get the chance to send a note to her to cheer her up.

Robin's Email - We can use her Yahoo email which is mzdobber@yahoo.com

Home Address

Robin Swinks
501 Golf Course Drive
Elizabethton, TN 37643

No comments: